Fall 2016: Getting Started with ReggieNet
Need help preparing to teach this fall? Check out the Start Your Semester page for helpful information. Also:
- After a recent upgrade, some instructors may see duplicate tools listed on the left-side menu in their ReggieNet course site. Duplicates can be removed by going to Site Info > Edit Tools and unselecting the duplicate entries.
- Starting Fall 2016, documents created in or uploaded to the Syllabus tool are "published" to students by default.
- If you use SCORM-based modules in ReggieNet, you may need to reload them to the system. Read more about changes to the SCORM Cloud tool.
- SoftChalk users need to upgrade to the latest version of SoftChalk Create (ver. 10) and repackage and reload their modules into ReggieNet. Contact your department IT support person for help getting updated software.
You can also call (309) 438-2542 or email CTLT@ilstu.edu to make an appointment for a consultation.
SCORM Cloud Issues - 5/23/16
Illinois State University was recently required to change its license for SCORM Cloud, a system that allows additional instructional content to be incorporated into ReggieNet course sites. As part of this process, our partners in Administrative Technologies had to create a new SCORM account for our university. Old SCORM information already loaded into ReggieNet won't work going forward.
If you teach with SCORM modules, you will need to reload your modules into your existing summer or fall ReggieNet course site. We recommend that you hide (and do not delete!) your old SCORM files, in case data needs to be pulled from these files later. A step-by-step guide to loading SCORM modules into ReggieNet can be found towards the end of this PDF handout.
If you need assistance getting your SCORM-based lessons back into ReggieNet, or if you need help to ensure grading works properly with your SCORM-based lessons, please call us the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology at 438-2542 or email CTLT@ilstu.edu.
ReggieNet is the official learning management system (LMS) at Illinois State University. The pages listed to the left provide instructors with information and resources about ReggieNet. Select one of the links to get started! CTLT also offers training through hands-on workshops and customized workshops by request throughout the year.
- ReggieNet Support - Update 01/08/2016
- Current Changes & Announcements
When you log into ReggieNet, you'll notice a new look and a few new features. You can find more information on the What's New page.
Some instructors have encountered errors when trying transfer data from old courses to new ones. Two specific issues concern the Gradebook2 and Resources tools. While we believe these issues should be resolved soon, there are steps instructors can utilize now to manually move this data.
Resources tool - copying content from an old course site to a new one:
- Open the course in ReggieNet that the resources will be copied to.
- Click on the Resources tool in the left hand tool bar of the course.
- On the main Resources page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Copy Content from My Other Sites to view resources from other courses.
- Identify the course from which to copy resources and click on the yellow folder for that course to view the materials contained in the Resources tool for that course.
- Check the boxes to the left of the folders that are to be copied. This will enable the copy button at the top of the list of folders in Resources for this course.
- Click on the copy button. This will reset the page to the course Resources tool to which the files are to be copied.
- At the top of the list of folders in Resources, click on the clipboard icon associated with that folder or click the Actions drop down menu for that folder and select Paste copied items.
If you experience technical issues, please contact the Technology Support Center, as usual. If you have questions related to teaching with ReggieNet please email CTLT@ilstu.edu.
Spring 2016 Updates
As part of the migration to a new hosting service, ReggieNet will be upgrades to the latest version of Sakai. This means users will experience an enhanced interface and several new features. Check our the What's New in ReggieNet section for details.
Instructors can now access their course sites for the spring semester. Go to ReggieNet.IllinoisState.edu and click on the "My Active Sites" tab on the right of the screen.
- Please remember that you will only see your spring courses if you have been designated as the instructor of record for your department.
As we announced last spring, three tools will be retired and no longer available starting next semester. Plan on using the replacements for these tools, which are already in service:
- The Modules tool will be replaced by the Lessons tool.
- Discussion Forums will be discontinued; the similarly named Forums tool will remain.
- The Blogs tool will be replaced by the Clog (“Community Blog”) tool.
Workshops are available to help you transition from the Modules tool to the Lessons tool. In addition, consider:
Course Combination Requests
If you wish to have two or more Spring 2016 courses combined into one ReggieNet site, there is a new process for submitting requests. A step-by-step help guide (PDF) is also available.